Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blanket Update: It's Finished!

Do you remember me telling you about Pumpkin's blanket waaaaaayyyyy back when? After his birthday passed and it wasn't finished, I set it aside to start some other small projects that needed to get done, and well, kind of forgot. I saw it folded up last week and thought that there really was not much left to do, probably two more hours and it would be finished. Seven hours later, I wove in the last end. I way underestimated how long it would take me to make that cableknit border! I'm pleased with the way that it turned out. I hope that it will be a special blanket for him. It really is cute, but even more than that, it's the reason I learned to knit. It's been a very emotional project for me, and while I know that Pumpkin will not understand until he's much older, one day, if I can remember, I hope to tell him this:

Dear One,

Here is a blanket that I made with just you in mind. I hope it will keep you warm when you are cold, comfort you when you are sad, and protect you when you are scared. I left the mistakes to remind you that life, like this blanket, is imperfect. Sometimes we mess up, but if you can just keep going, you will make something really wonderful in the end.

I love you,
Mommy 

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet! I was just wondering about your blanket while working on my little knitting project (not as fancy!!!). You'll have to post a pic of it on FB. I cannot wait to finish my little thing and show it off to the world, LOL! Thank you for putting knitting back on my brain. I've always loved it, and it really helps me to just chill out, which I so need help with. And you're right, leaving the mistakes is part of the beauty of it!

    ReplyDelete