Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Edible Education

In an attempt to make our math lessons more "hands on" (or in this case, more "sticky-hands on"), I took our lesson to that tried and true arena of learning: the kitchen. Our first math unit has been on same/different/similar, so I thought that decorating pairs of cookies would be a delicious way to illustrate this concept.

We used recipe number 2 of these sugar cookie recipes, and it was just about the best sugar cookie dough I've ever had. We made the dough one day, then cut and baked them the next morning, then decorated them in the afternoon. I let the girls pick out all the cookie cutters, and we made two of each shape to decorate either the same or different. I think the spray-can frosting is pretty awful, but it's super easy and simpler to manipulate than a piping bag (also, I don't own a piping bag, and had no more butter to make frosting anyway, so there you have it).

Darling made time for her math lesson before her wedding. Such dedication to her schooling!

I think it was a smashing success. I'm so proud of Doodlebug, especially, who has been pointing out things that are the same or different ever since! Darling was more interested in eating the cookies and then getting back to playing dress-up.


They decorated the cookies themselves. While they earned an A for math, let's just say that I know two little ladies who will never compete on Cupcake Wars. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Fun! You don't have to use piping bags for kids, though, if you decide you'd rather make your own icing. I find bought icing truly disgusting - LOL, and you probably do as well. So if you want to make your own icing, you may look into some of these kits. As much as you bake with the kids, you'd definitely get your money's worth out of them.

    Cookie and Cupcake Decorating Tool Set: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/cookie-and-cupcake-decorating-tool-set#

    I have a few of these, and love them. (scroll down until you see "Small Plastic Squeeze Bottles" and "Large") They are awesome, and are cheap. And they are reusable.

    The Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus, I picked up at Wal-Mart and it's fabulous. I really love mine. And it's only around $15. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3253&PRODID=zprd_02426781a&AID=10273743&PID=1869786&SID=5ec4773-13220be3fef-3f92&cm_mmc=CJ-_-9223372036854775807-_-1869786-_-Dessert+Decorator+Plus

    ReplyDelete