Monday, September 7, 2009

Muscadine Update: Muscadine Sauce

So, I promised to update about the muscadines. I didn't attempt jelly like I had originally planned. Honestly, I've never made jelly before, and I chickened out. That's a project to attempt another day. So I went a route I'm more familiar with: muscadine syrup. I make fresh blueberry or strawberry syrup every time the girls and I make pancakes, so I figured I would just substitute the muscadines for the blueberries. The resulting sauce was delicious! But I wouldn't call it a syrup. The nature of the muscadines made this much thicker, so it was more like a sauce. I could have strained the skins, but I wanted to keep more vitamins in the sauce, so I pureed it instead. The muscadines took a long time to cook down, more than 30 minutes. I actually let it cook a bit too long, and so my sauce was quite thick (that's what we get for crafting while we wait!) but it was still delicious spooned over our pancakes this morning!  Here's how I did it:


Muscadine Butter


2 quarts muscadines, seeded
1/2 cup pure sorghum
1 tbps lime juice (that's what I had on hand)


combine all ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Let cook down for about 30 minutes or until all combined and muscadines are tender. Blend in with either immersion or stand blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment