Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gender Roles

I've been thinking a bit about gender roles recently. This was brought on after a trip to a lake, where I over-heard a mother express concern about her eighteen-month-old son who was afraid to go in the water, "We hope he'll grow out of it. His dad is worried he'll be a sissy."

I go back and forth in my head about whether I should say anything, but I always come to the conclusion that it's none of my business, even though comments like that burn the fire out of me. The child was in no danger, the parents were within their rights, and I'm afraid I just don't have the blatant gall to stick my nose where it doesn't belong. But still, it's had me thinking about children and gender roles.

Once, at Christmas time, I was in a Pottery Barn Kids and overheard a woman complaining loudly to her companion over the toy displays. "I just think it's awful that they have the doctor's kits on the boy's side and the dolls on the girls side." Even as she said this, two robust boys were happily playing in the girl's section with the pink kitchen set while their dad got some shopping done (I know they were with their dad because he kept coming over to quiet them down when they got a bit too rowdy). But it does bring up a point: do toy makers design toys for boys and girls based on natural gender preferences, or do kids gravitate towards "gender appropriate" toys because of the labels and pressure we put on them? In other words, which came first: the chicken or the egg?

My first inclination is that it is a little bit of both. Boys and girls are wired differently, that much is obvious, and so it would only make sense that their interests lie in separate, but overlapping, areas. I think when dealing with generalities this is not a bad way to think about it. However, I do agree that some of the stuff marketed to girls is just downright offensive, and the things marketed to boys are downright oppressive. It seems the idea of girls as sex symbols is being marketed to younger and younger girls, which I think is both horrible and devastating. And while a part of me believes that it is a parent's job to filter our the garbage and shelter the girl's self-esteem, that's a bit hard to do without becoming a hermit these days. We don't watch live tv in my house, not because I'm against tv or even the programs necessarily, but I hate the commercials marketing junk food and toys to kids. They simply make my job so much harder.On a recent trip to the mall, a walk through Dillard's in search of a bathroom took me through the juniors section, where a pair of short on display were too small for the mannequine. I won't lie: as a parent of girls, there was a part of me that rejoiced at Mattel's decision to give Barbie a boob reduction. Debate over how all of those Hollywood images and unrealistic bodies negatively affects a girls self-esteem has been debated ad nauseum.
But on the flipside, I believe that there isn't necessarily a double standard against girls in modern marketing: boys are just as oppressed and forced into roles. I think that putting the doctor kits on the boys side and the kitchen set on the girls side is every bit as offensive to boys as it is to girls. Those boys playing on the kitchen set were having a great time. In fact, kids always want to immitate whatever their parents do. So if a little boy sees his dad or mom cooking, or running a vaccuum, or caring for a baby sibling, that's what he will want to do. But those toys, he is told, are off-limits. They are for girls only, and he shouldn't want to play with them. What sort of message does that send to a little boy? How will he interpret that message as an adult? My guess would be that he will grow up to believe very strongly in "a woman's place", etc. Little boys are told again and again that they must be strong, that they can't cry, that it's not "manly" to feel emotion, that they shouldn't be afraid of anything or they're a sissy. I would think that these boys would grow up to be emotionally distant and poor communicators, with low self-esteems and the decreased ability to value the opposite sex for anything but their gender role. In other words, I think they would grow up to be lousy spouses and poor parents who most likely will just perpetuate the cycle of gender roles for their own children.

I am just speculating here. I haven't done any research on this subject, but I would like to one day. These are just my current inclinations. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I have almost convinced my husband to buy a BOB Revolution. I have been doing an enormous amount of research on the differences between umbrella strollers, jogging strollers, and full, light-weight strollers and have come to the conclusion that everyone is recommending the BOB Revolution in all 3 categories. When I bought my first stroller, I was looking for something inexpensive, compact, and easy to push. I chose the Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat Stroller Frame, which I love. It's easy and has a huge basket for all of the *numerous* amounts of baby stuff one has to travel with. And at the time, I didn't think I wanted something as big and bulky as the Graco Metrolite (which is a stroller that I have since started re-considering) or something even larger...but as I've started walking and excercising in the heat, and have started to really have to work to push my baby down the street - I can see that walking on pavement just isn't what the Graco Frame stroller was intended for. Also, the fact that the Graco Frame Stroller only lasts while the baby is in the infant car seat. So I've been trying to choose one now for a while, and I'm so close to just going out and buying one. The price is what has me stumped a bit, as we are budgeting a bit tighter lately, but I've found a few places that sell them a bit more inexpensively than others. The only other thing that has me completely stumped is the necessity of buying a single vs. a double. I have myself completely convinced that we are going to have another child in the next two years. Do I want the single now, only to buy a double in a few short years, or do I want to go ahead and buy the double, using that second seat as a "my buddy" seat for now or is that "overly jumping the gun"?? I know that the selling price of a used BOB is still pretty high and so I feel confindent that even if I did re-sell my single that I would get a good portion of the money back, but I would still lose a good hundred or so. So, thoughts?

    I have a "Awesome list of 4 baby things I want" going. They are as follows:

    1. The BOB Revolution (obviously)

    2. An Ergo Baby Carrier (organic - I am fond of the Cranberry color, actually, and I have a little boy so I'm worried a bit on what my husband will think as he'll be wearing it as well, even though he just refuses to put on the Baby Bjorn...I think it's my favorite color. LOL!

    3. A Burley d'lite ST - I'm trying to shed the pounds by getting into shape and this seems like the ideal way to do it. I've always enjoyed bike riding and my parents actually had the "Burley Bee" for my sister and me when we were young and we loved it. I know that my son will enjoy it as well, and his sibling-to-be.

    4. A Britax Boulevard - It's just awesome. I haven't been introduced to anything better as of yet and so am pretty satisfied in my choosing of it. My son isn't of age yet where we need it, but we'll be buying it soon.

    Five things I couldn't live without this week are as follows:

    1. My Peg-Perego high chair. I just love it!

    2. My JVC Everio - it's letting me capture so many fond memories of my son and family!

    3. My Buffy and Angel DVDs. I can watch them a hundred times a day and strangely enough, have yet to tire or bore from then. Joss Whedon is a *genius*.

    4. My DDR. I'm playing a good hour a day in hopes of doing continuous physical activities during the day. I've forgotten how much fun it can be, although I wish I had some of my old DDR partners to play with.

    5. My Astro-van. At first, I almost completely rejected the idea of me driving a mini-van. Now, after seeing the perks of driving around my family, as well as the extra necessary space it provides for me and my baby, I have completely fallen in love with it. I now know that once my husband and I finish paying off our Toyota Highlander, that I will be searching for a new and improved van or SUV. It's just going to become a necessity for our growing family.

    Love the blog, keep posting. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete