Thursday, July 1, 2010

Easy Recipes

I'm looking for easy recipes. The kind that require few ingredients, don't use processed or prepared foods such as condensed soups, and don't take much prep work, yet are satisfying and delicious and won't cause battles with my two-year-old. Oh, and that dirty up as few dishes as possible. I mean, really, that's not much to ask, is it?

Needless to say, I haven't found much. I'm loving the idea of the slow-cooker--I love the "dump it in and leave it" approach. The fact that I can get it going before the kids get up and have a delicious dinner ready when I need it-- even if time gets away from me-- is VERY appealing. In fact, I've got some soup going in the slow-cooker as I'm writing this. And that got me thinking: can you cook a whole chicken in the slow-cooker instead of the oven? Can you make lasagna in the slow-cooker? How about fajitas? Casseroles? I intend to find out!

(update: the soup turned out pretty good!)

Other benefits of the slow-cooker that I did not think about before:
-costs far less to run than the oven, because it uses less electricity
-doesn't heat up your whole house (which is good because it's been sweltering)
-usually portions are big enough to freeze half for later, making you doubly efficient!

No comments:

Post a Comment