Monday, January 2, 2012

Bye-bye 2011....


What a year. In 2011, I learned, in no particular order:

That it is possible to hold every thought captive
The marigolds fascinate my children as much as bubbles
That Pinterest is an even more dangerous time killer than Facebook
That the best way to exercise is an impromptu game of chase in the backyard.
That I can forgive the past and look forward, but I cannot magically disconnect all the emotion from painful memories: those spots are still sore. 
The meaning of the word "pejorative"
That there will never be a clean sippy cup, no matter how many I buy
That I am crunchy
That it is difficult to be part of a church family when attending church requires an hour drive
That I need my church family more than I ever allowed myself to believe
That homeschooling is as much a part of God's plan for me as it is for my children
That the sweetest-tasting watermelons aren't necessarily the ones you grew yourself, but there's always next year.
That I have become intrinsically connected to the town where we live
That the magic formula for keeping up with the laundry is 3 loads per day
That my mother is better at finding clothes that I like than I am
That my friends are better at finding a man to love me than I am
That the secret to sweet cucumbers is even watering
That throwing a tantrum as an adult makes you look like a jackass, even if you're right.
That I am absolutely not in control. Of anything. And you know what? It's better that way.


My family rang in the New Year very quietly...which is just my speed. The kids went to bed on time after much reading and cuddling, and I ended up greeting 2012 by watching the ball drop with someone special. We laughed and talked and made plans for the coming year, and when I fell asleep with my head on his chest and snored a little bit (I've got some sinus issues going on---really! No, no really!), he told me it was "adorable". That is true love. It was quite possibly the best New Year's I've ever had.

Now I'm looking forward to starting a new chapter in my family's life. There are going to be some big changes in the next few months. Changes that I never dared to hope would happen. Changes that I can't wait to share. And so, from my family to yours, I hope you had a wonderful end to 2011, and I wish you all the best for the New Year.



No comments:

Post a Comment