Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Garden Surprise!

I went out back to feed some rose bushes that were transplanted this summer (not at all a good time to transplant roses, but this was necessary as the bed they were comfortably settled in was being taken out as we re-worked our yard). I discovered that a tomato plant which I had left for dead over the summer has somehow survived....and is producing fruit! There are only 6 green tomatoes on the vine, so it is far from a large crop, but I am almost in shock. I have not even looked at it in months. Probably not since August. And I certainly had no idea that tomatoes could mature in November! This is what I love about gardening: the surprises! I wonder if gardening will hold the same fascination for me once I become more experienced? Right now, I know almost diddly-squat about gardening. Until about a month ago, I couldn't tell you what Zone I lived in. And yet somehow I have fumbled through it all and had a good crop of okra, eggplant, and peppers (which I am currently drowning under. Didn't know peppers would mature in November, either, although they are in the same family as the tomato!), and have now successfully started plants from seed. It makes me feel like a magician: all I started with was a tiny seed and some dirt. But! Combine with water and you get a plant. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment