Friday, August 21, 2009

Diet Update: Animal Flesh Creeps Back In

So, it's about week 4 on my diet, and my schedule has changed, which in turn means that my diet had to make some adjustments, too. For one thing, I'm taking all online classes this term, and so being home means that I'm eating meals with the family more, rather than meals by myself. While socially this is a good thing, it's hard to stick with it when we're all eating the same thing, I'm not always in charge of what's for dinner or lunch, and no one else is following the diet that I am. This means more meat has crept back into my diet, because my mom insists on animal flesh at every meal, and I can tell. My bowels have become hard and painful again, and while they were regular (as in, the same time every day), now they are more sporadic. I feel sluggish in the afternoon and worn out in the evening. My mood is still even, and I think that is because I still intake a high amount of fresh fruits and veggies and don't eat much sugar. I'm thirstier, and feel that I cannot get satisfied no matter how much water I drink. I have not gained any weight, and have even lost a pound, but my energy has suffered, and I'm not sleeping as well. This despite the fact that my stress level has decreased since college algebra is done.

I think if eating at home meant meat one or two more times a week, it might not have had such a profound affect, but I more than doubled my meat intake per week, from around 4 times a week to twice a day. Plus, we eat lots of legumes and eggs, so I'm getting ADDITIONAL protein every day. I've started just politely skipping the meat at one meal a day, but it's difficult, because of the "guilt complex" I have from my childhood: if there are left-overs, I feel compelled to eat them so they don't go to waste. However, I've come to the conclusion that keeping my energy level up in these busy times is more important than not throwing out that last piece of Salisbury streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment