Monday, August 24, 2009

Quinoa HOAX! "Mother Grain" Isn't a Grain at All! (and recipe: Quinoa Salad)

Have you ever heard of quinoa? (pronounced: keen-WAH) No? That's really a shame. And let me explain why.

Let's talk about amino acids for a minute. Your body is basically twenty amino acids strung together in complex ways with some water and other minerals. (that's really over-simplifying it, but it's my blog, so I can do what I want!) Your amazing body can manufacture ten of those amino acids from other materials, but the other ten you cannot. You do not have the enzymes required to make them (like plants do), so you must consume them in food. These are called "the essential amino acids" (ever heard of "leucine", "tryptophan", "lysine" and their unique health benefits? That's why). And guess what? Quinoa has got 'em all.

A Little History

"Quinoa" means "Mother Grain" in the Incan language, and was regarded by that ancient people as a sacred food. It is native to the Andes moutains. Although it has been grown for over 5,000 years it wasn't until the 1980's that two guys began to study its nutritional value and began to cultivate it in Colorado. Quinoa is more commonly known among the vegan sect, because it contains a complete protein, but it is gaining popularity among anyone who is health-conscious. Quinoa is gluten-free and has fewer calories and lower sodium than other grains. And although it is, for all intents and purposes, a "grain", it doesn't seem to be related to other grains, which I believe are kinds of grasses (just like corn). It is instead related to the spinach family! However, the quinoa seed looks, tastes, and is used like a grain, which is why it is always given that distinction.

I love quinoa. My mom is not crazy about its distinctive, nutty flavor, but that's what I like. It is also considered to be more easily digestible than other grains, and it is gluten-free. It can be used as a substitute for for almost any grain, such as rice or couscous, and there is even quinoa flour and quinoa pasta!

It might be hard to find quinoa at your local Albertson's or Safeway. I find it at Whole Foods and buy it in the wonderful bulk section. Or you can buy it online. I store it in an air-tight container.

Here is my recipe for Quinoa Salad. You may notice that it has a similar flavor profile as some other dishes I've made recently, because I'm really on a cumin kick right now. This was a hit with my dad and my youngest daughter (my older one is a picky eater on principle), and even my mom liked it, saying that "the apples made it edible." I nearly ate my weight in it, it was so good.

Quinoa Sald with Apples and Golden Raisins
o
ne cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed thoroughly if it is not already)
2 apples, cored and diced, peel on (I always have Gala on hand)
1 handful golden raisins (maybe 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup walnut halves and pieces
1 tsp parsley (if using fresh, I would use about 1/4 cup)
1 tsp cumin, divided
1 tsp ground ginger (fresh is best, but I only had the dried on hand)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey
6 tbsp butter, divided
sea salt and pepper to taste

Cook quinoa according to package instructions (or in 2 cups boiling water for 15 minutes, if you bought in the bulk section). Add half the cumin and ginger to the water as it cooks. In a large saute pan, melt 4 tbsp of the butter, then add the apples and saute until tender. Add raisins, the rest of the cumin and ginger, parsley, cinnamon, honey, salt and pepper. Put the onions and walnuts in the bottom of a seperate bowl. Add the hot apple mixture and cooked quinoa to the onions and nuts and mix well. Add last 2 tbsp butter and mix well. Refridgerate for at least 30 minutes to let flavors deepen. Serve hot or cold.


World's Healthiest Foods: Quinoa
Quinoa.net
Quinoa factsheet

No comments:

Post a Comment